The Original Negative


This is a University level project. The brief was to design a book for a subject of our choosing. I opted for photography as it's another art subject I enjoy and it allowed me to collaborate with a friend on the photography course.

I decided to use this as an opportunity to explore other ways of being creative. Instead of typesetting normally using design software i experimented with exposing type directly onto the photo during the developing process. This involved printing the type of my choice onto acetate and placing that over the light sensitive dark-room paper before exposing. I tested several different exposure lengths in strips so i could selected the image best suited with the right light levels and exposure. This became the focus of my project, being the front cover and a display piece. The inside was a simple timeline of the evolution of the photo-negative.

Student Work

University of Plymouth